Friday, September 14, 2007

becoming regular...

There's a particular table in a particular corner of a particular coffee shop on Royal St. where I'm gradually getting to the point where I can say that spot has become particularly mine.

Today is Friday, and I just realized I have visited my little corner four times this week.

Always the same spot, almost always the same drink, and nearly always the same routine.

If I had my way, I would frequent this same spot on a more consistent basis, at a more consistent time of the day, having consistent conversations with unfamiliar faces that hopefully would lead to consistent friendships.

I'm already beginning to tell who are the "regulars" in my little corner of the world. Even the baristas are beginning to recognize me. Maybe some day they will know exactly what I want to drink even without asking for it. Perhaps, if I commit to consistency, they will already have my drink ready by the time I walk in the door.

There's this old man who wears suspenders and looks "pissed off" all the time. On Tuesday a young lady said a few words to him and he immediately changed his demeanor. This old man talked way too much and probably scared the young lady with the amount of enthusiasm in his voice, but it was obvious that he was desperate for a decent conversation...

(Currently I am desperate for a decent conversation with the one who knows about all my particulars...)

This old guy has been at this coffee shop everytime I've been here, and God-willing, I hope I get to have a good conversation with him soon...

He was playing chess once, so I think I'll play him one day and let him whoop my ass...

Jesus would like that, seeing me get my ass whooped by an angry, old man. We'll probably talk about stuff, and that would be good because Jesus likes it when I talk to angry old men about stuff. Maybe we'll even talk about Him :)


Here's to becoming regular...

(last sip)

2 comments:

Edmund said...

Now you know this is just another venue for your stalkers and fans to get their fix... haha jk.

The Hand's said...

I could smell the coffee.